Chinu completed a Bachelor's degree in Geography in Calcutta and Master's degrees in Human Geography and Urban Planning in New Delhi.
In 1979 she moved to Canada to complete a Ph.D. in Community and Regional Planning at UBC.
The focus of her research was on people who become marginalized in the process of urban development, mostly due to urban poverty.
- 1986. Ph.D. in Community and Regional Planning, University of British Columbia.
- 1977. Masters Diploma in Urban and Regional Planning. School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi, India.
- 1975. M.A. in Human Geography. Delhi School of Economics, Delhi University, India.
- Received University Gold Medal for best student in M.A. geography
- 1972. B.A. Geography (Honours degree). Calcutta University, Calcutta, India.
- 1968. Indian School Certificate in Humanities (under Cambridge School syndicate), Calcutta, India.