Chinu is a lifelong volunteer.
During school days in India she fundraised for flood or drought relief; sorted donations at Mother Teresa's convent; and was a volunteer teacher at Barasat refugee camp during the Bangladesh war.
As a UBC student she volunteered at International House to help foreign students settle into life in Canada. This evolved into her focus on multiculturalism and diversity.
Volunteering in New Westminster for Chinu has ranged from sports and recreation to supporting newcomers to community-building. She is active on City and community committees involved with children's wellbeing as well as with diversity. In 2012, Chinu received the Multicultural and Diversity Award from the City of New Westminster.
- 2018: Member of the City of New Westminster, Seniors Advisory Committee
- 2018: Member of the City of New Westminster, Community and Social Issues Committee
- 2018: Member of planning committee for City of New Westminster Newcomer Connect Day; Master of Ceremonies of Newcomer Connect Day
- 2017: Participant in New Westminster’s Stakeholder meeting with Chinese Benevolent Group on the new reconciliation commemorative park
- 2017: Volunteer at the Senior’s Craft Sale and Tea, Senior’s Festival
- 2016 – 2017: Member, New Westminster Canada Day Committee
- 2015 – 2017: Member of the Mayor’s Task Force on Public Engagement, New Westminster
- 2015 – ongoing: Member of the City of New Westminster, Museum and Archives Committee
- 2014: Committee member on Century House Inclusion project
- 2012: Received Multicultural and Diversity Award from the City of New Westminster
- 2011 – 2014: Member of City of New Westminster, Social and Community Issues Committee
- 2011: Mentor in the Family Services of Greater Vancouver, New Westminster program “Newcomers mentorship program”
- 2007 – ongoing: Member of Welcoming and Inclusive New West (WINS) Local Immigrant Partnership
- January 2006 – 2008: Member of City of New Westminster, Social and Community Issues Committee
- February 2007 – 2018: Member of City of New Westminster, Multicultural Advisory Committee
- August 2007 – 2009: Member of the Provincial Steering Committee on Settlement Workers in Schools initiative
- August 2007 – 2009: Member of Settlement Workers in Schools Coordinators group
- August 2007 – 2009: Chair of School District #40 Multicultural Advisory Committee.
- November 2006 – 2009: Director on the Board of Directors for the Arts Council of New Westminster
- April 26th 2006: Co- chair of Multicultural Action Committee (a subcommittee of Inter-Agency) formed with representation from service providers, city, school district and settlement agencies.
- January 2006 – January 2008: Member of City of New Westminster, Social and Community Issues Committee
- June 22, 2006: Presenter at Multicultural Action committee event ‘Cultural Diversity in New Westminster at New Westminster Public Library
- June 2005 – 2009: Committee member of New Westminster’s Literacy Now- Lifelong Learning Project
- June 2005: Co-organizer of Bella Canto, ‘We are One’ concert for SD#40, a concert promoting multiculturalism
- 2003 – 2005: Workshop presenter to ESL groups about school life and parent involvement at NWSS, on request from Adult Education SD40
- 2002 – 2004: On request from Family Services of Greater Vancouver in New Westminster presentations to Sudanese immigrants about school life in Canada at St. Barnabas Church
- 2003: New Westminster ‘Working Table’ member of Fraser Area Authority for Child and Family Development: Responsible for getting input from the multicultural community in New Westminster for the Community Development plan
- 2003: Committee member- Community Partners for Change Project: Pacific Immigrant Resources Society
- 2002 – 2007: Committee member, Safe & Caring/ Social Responsibility Committee: School District 40, New Westminster
- 2002: Committee member, New Westminster Report Card on Racism Project: Pacific Immigrant Resources Society
- 2001: Committee member, Immigrant Families in New Westminster: Inter-agency committee initiated by Pacific Immigrant Resources Society
- 2001 – 2003: Committee member, Parent and Pre-School Program for African Women and Children: ESL program by Family Services of Greater Vancouver
- November 2000 – May 2001: Panelist for workshops on Diversity Training facilitated by City of New Westminster
- 1992 – 2000: Member of New Westminster Multicultural Society
- 1992: Founding member of the New Westminster Multicultural Society